Monday, February 21, 2011

Birthdays

Is it just me, or does it seem like the older you get, the less your birthday matters?  Or is it that our birthdays are just fine, but we just get more negative?  I'm not sure which one it is!  I guess part of me, deep down inside, still anticipates the fun, pink birthday parties.  I still get excited about cupcakes, candles, sparkles, balloons, Barbies...well, maybe not Barbies...but special gifts that have been picked out especially for you. I am not afraid to admit that I love having a day that is all about ME!  Do I set my hopes too high?  I'm not sure.  I want to know what other people think.
I remember getting surprise after surprise from my mom when I was little.  She made me feel like I was the only person in the world on my birthday.  I never got huge fancy gifts, but I got special gifts.  Once I got a plain clock to hang on my bedroom wall.  You might think that sounds pretty sucky, but it wasn't!  I had mentioned to my mom that I wanted to know what time it was in my bedroom, and she remembered that I said that and went out and bought me a special clock:)  This year I got a beautiful silver necklace in the mail.  She told me that she spent the whole day out shopping, looking for the perfect necklace for me.  She said that when she saw this one, a beautiful simple necklace with one little heart inside a bigger heart, she knew that it was the perfect one for me.  Not only is it beautiful, but it reminded her of me.  That means a lot to me.
I guess my mom kind of spoiled me on my birthday growing up.  I have high expectations because she set the bar high!  I love how she pays attention to the things that I like, no matter how simple and small they are (like a clock), and comes up with a really neat gift idea for me.
Oh, how I love my mom!  And oh, how I miss her on my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment