Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Believers and unbelievers...dare you to read! - Romans 1:21


I know a few people who are not believers in Jesus.  I'm sure we all do.  My heart goes out to them, and I love them just as much as I love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  It hurts my heart to know that they don't know Jesus the way that I do.  I think us, as Jesus followers, are often misjudged.  We are expected to be perfect, to always be nice, to be selfless, and so on and so forth.  But lets face it...we are sinful!  Everybody is!  Christian or not, we are all sinners.  I mess up.  I am judgmental, I gossip, I am prideful, I lie...I could go on and on!  But there is a difference between me and my non-christian friends.  I am forgiven.  I have been redeemed.  Not because of anything I have done, (I know that I am no better than anybody else), but because of what Jesus has done for me.  He payed the penalty, which is death, on the cross so that I could live a blameless and free life.  He rose from the dead to show us that He is God.  I have a Savior who created me, who loves me, and who knows me better than anyone else does.  He knows the number of hairs on my head!  I know Him, and strive to know Him better, and I love Him dearly.  As for my non-believing friends/family, they do not love Him.  It is hard for me to understand that, but I came across a Bible verse today that shed some light on this.
"Yes they knew God, but they wouldn't worship Him as God or even give Him thanks.  And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused."
Romans 1:21
I believe this to be the truth about unbelievers.  I've learned from my own experience that when I'm frustrated at God, angry at God, feel let down by God, it is because I am making up ideas of what I think God is like, and who I think God is.  But no matter what I think of Him, it doesn't change who He is.  What you think of Him doesn't change who He is.  He is a Savior, Redeemer, loving, just, truthful, powerful, good, unchanging God.  I have read emails that have been pages long about why someone hates God.  I read one lie after another and was heartbroken that God had just been labeled by the character flaws of us mere humans.  "God is racist, God is hateful, God is a hypocrite, God is sexist, God is mean..."  No, God is PERFECT.  We are NOT.  Don't blame God for the mistakes us humans make.  He loves you.  He adores you.  He is waiting for you with arms wide open.  He is ready to forgive anything you've ever done.  He created you just the way you are, because He wanted you to be exactly that way.  He is your Father, and is waiting for you to accept Him into your heart.  He is your protector, and He is there for you and has been there with you in your darkest times.
If you are reading this and you don't know Jesus, don't go to the world to find out who He is.  Go to the Bible.  You will find ONLY truth there.  Your biggest mistake will be to make up ideas of who you think God is.  I know because I am guilty of doing that.  I often have to remind myself of the truth of God, His real characteristics and throw the rest out the door, because the rest is all lies.  Don't tell me you know who God is, if you haven't even read the Bible.  Read the Bible first, pray about it, and then, and ONLY then, decide if you want Him in your life or not.  This is a dare.  This is an invitation.  If you are reading this, know that I love you, but more than anyone else, you are dearly loved by your Father in heaven.  He wants you.  He wants to pursue you.  I promise that if you give Jesus a chance, He will change your life like you never believed was possible.  If you are hesitant, I totally get that.  But try to think about why you are hesitant.  What are you afraid of?  Are you possibly believing lies about God?  Do you REALLY know who Jesus is and what He has done for you?  Ask yourself these questions, and go from there.
I am not claiming to be perfect, or that I think I'm better than you.  I just have something that I believe is worth sharing.  It is urgent.  It is truth.  It has eternal consequences.   Check it out for yourself and see what you think!!!
Know that you are loved.
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment